The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) & Public Buildings
The Americans With Disabilities Act legislation passed in 1990 and prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities. Under this Act, discrimination against a disabled person is illegal in employment, transportation, public accommodations, communications and government activities.
After 1990 new buildings were required to be handicap accessible and existing building were required to comply wth the American with Disabilities Act. So, public/commercial buildings need to have facilities by code for disabled people (handicap ramps, ADA complaint bathroom facilities, 36" doors to allow wheelchairs, ADA Compliant kitchens, etc.)
Residential Buildings and private homes are not required to be ADA Complaint, but by direct request from homeowners, insurance companies or in many cases by people receiving government grants/help, these can be modified to meet ADA compliance code or in some cases, where space limitations can't allow full code requirements, homes can be modified to become Handicap Friendly in order to aid physically challenged homeowner's and/or anyone residing in that dwelling and make their life easier.
Amazon Construction's Handicap Accessibility or Interior and Exterior conversions - from standard, handicap-friendly or fully ADA compliant.
- Handicap accessible ramps
- Interior & exterior stairlifts for straight or curved staircases
- Vertical platforms/Wheelchair lifts (exterior)
- Interior elevators (REMI Home Elevators)
- Bathroom modifications from standard to handicap friendly (widening door openings, walk-in showers, ADA Compliant toilets & Sinks)
- Flooring (carpets, ceramic tiles, vinyl and laminate) NOTE: Floor coverings sometimes can be an impediment for people with disabilities and many times a low turf or flat and even surface is required to ease movement of a wheelchair inside a house
- Interior & exterior structural modifications (main entrance alterations, creating new spaces, etc.)
- Conversion to handicap friendly Kitchen, bathrooms, laundry rooms & bedrooms with Pulldown Fixtures/Accessories (Rev-A-Shelf)